[seul-edu] Re: [plug] compatibility table (was: PLUG 4 Schools)

On Monday 06 May 2002 16:24, Denis Brown wrote:
> Question: is it
> reasonable / ethical to start a "to do"-type page on the PLUG website where
> mission-critical applications / conditions are listed and against which
> people can report OSS alternatives?  For instance "application = word
> processing, critical condition = compatibility with Word version X" to
> which people might respond "StarOffice, OpenOffice, ...."  That's an
> example only, I had in mind more esoteric applications like timetabling,
> groupware, student records, library management, etc.

Ethical? What could be ethically wrong with that?

I think SEUL/SchoolForge are planning a similar thing with an educational
bias. I am wondering if FreshMeat might not be interested in doing something
about this, even if only as additional `Compatible with' or `Replaces' fields
in their database?

Cheers; Leon