[seul-edu] Re: correction to "LINUX ENABLES SAFE COMPUTER DONATIONS TO SCHOOLS"

Josep L. Guallar-Esteve wrote:

> Dr Loss,
>
> That is a very nice document. Although, I would like to correct an involuntary
> mistake.
>
> In your document you refer to Congressman Dr. Edgar Villanueva Núñez as
> "Congressman Núñez". This is wrong. It should be "Congressman Villanueva" or
> "Congressman Villanueva-Núñez".
>
> Why? Let me explain.
>
> In Spanish-speakling countries (and maybe others), there's no such thing as
> "middle name" nor "maiden name" for women.
>
> There's "First Name" (with any number of names from one to many. Usualy, only
> one or two are commonly used) and "Last Name".
>
> "Last Name" are composed of "first familyname" and "second familyname". The
> first is your father's familyname. The second, is your mother's familyname.
> Also, women do not loose any of their familynames.
>
> A ficticious example:
>
> Juan Gomez Lacasa is married to Maria Sepulveda Marquez. They have a kid named
> Edgar Gomez Sepulveda. Juan G. S. is son of Antonio Gomez Sancristobal and
> Pilar Lacasa Rodriguez. Maria S. del M. is daugter of Miguel Sepulveda
> Quevedo and Maria Marquez Garcia.
>
> So, Congressman Edgar Villanueva is the son of a Mr. Villanueva and Mrs.
> Núñez.
>
> You can simplify his name to "Concressman Villanueva"... but never to
> "Congressman Núñez"! . If you read the link-name (that you provide in the
> article), you will see that they use "villanueva" instead of "nunez":
>
> http://www.pimientolinux.com/peru2ms/villanueva_to_ms.html
>

> Sometimes, people use a hyphen between both familynames (as in my case) to
> explicitely show to any English-speaker that the "Last Name" has two words.
>
> Hope this will help you in future articles and that you will inform your
> colleagues about this culture disimilarity.
>

> All the best,
> Josep
>
> p.s.: Excuse my poor English

Thank you for your correction.  We'll make sure to change our pages to
show the correct name.  I'm quoting your message in its entirety so
the people on the seul-edu mailing list can understand the reason for
the change.  And your English needs no excuse; it's much better than
my (almost nonexistent) Spanish!

--
Doug Loss          As long as I have you there is just
drloss@suscom.net  one other thing I'll always need--