Re: [seul-edu] ISO criterion

Dirk Schouten wrote:

> Esteemed Group,
> May I propose a criterion (apart from all educational ones) to evaluate
> programs for usefullness?
>
> Criterion: Is the language used in the program easily adaptable?
>
> IMHO this is an important criterion for all non-English pupils using the
> software on the future ISO.
> Here in Holland we see good software, but we cannot use it because the
> translation process is too complicated, there is no separate language file,
> etc. etc.

This is important, but I'd like to treat it a bit differently.  Rather
than use ease of translation as a criterion for inclusion on the ISO,
I'd like to use only a program's utility and usability in the schools
to determine if it should be included or not.  For characteristics
like how easily is it adaptable to different languages and educational
systems (or other similar criteria) I'd like to rate each program on a
scale of one to whatever (5, 10, whatever seems useful).  That way we
can include numerous programs that may not satisfy every criterion
perfectly, but that may be generally useful to a reasonable subset of
users.  If we store these ratings in a database it should be fairly
easy to filter the records so that a user can find those programs that
  fit his or her needs best.

--
Doug Loss          As long as I have you there is just
drloss@suscom.net  one other thing I'll always need--