From: Ed Sheridan [mailto:esheridan@forestcity.k12.ia.us]
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 3:36 PM
To: K-12 Feedback and Registration Alias
Subject: donated pc's

I just saw a link on slashdot to your page about donated computers.
According to your web site

Q. What if the donor can't find the backup CDs, End-Use License Agreement,
End-User manual and the Certificate of Authenticity? Can they still donate
the PC and operating system?
 A. Microsoft recommends that educational institutions only accept computer
donations that are accompanied by proper operating system documentation. If
the donor cannot provide this documentation, it is recommended that you
decline the donated PC(s).

I don't understand that... If a pc comes in the school door and I wanna put
Mandrake or something on it, what's wrong with that? Or what about
Frankenstein boxen that I hack together out of the parts we have around
here?

We can't even take FREE stuff if it doesn't have Windows on it?

Thanks in advance,

>>> MS reply <<<<<

>Hi Ed,

Thank you for your inquiry about Microsoft's licensing guidelines for
donated computers (found on
http://www.microsoft.com/Education/?ID=DonatedComputers). The language
surrounding operating systems that come already loaded on donated machines
has been clarified to better reflect best practices:

If you feel it is in the best interest of your school to accept the donated
PCs, make sure you know the licensing guidelines. For instance, if the
hardware donation is an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) machine, the
pre-installed operating system license is only valid when used on the
original machine for which it was first installed, so it's beneficial to
leave it intact.

Microsoft is committed to helping our education customers proactively manage
technology assets. We appreciate your feedback and actively use your
comments in our planning processes.

K-12 Customer Communications

Stay current and subscribe to Microsoft Education News, a monthly, free
email-based newsletter. http://www.microsoft.com/education/newsletters.asp