Access replacement (was Re: [seul-edu] M$ Audits (shortened))

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:10 am, Leon Brooks wrote:
<snip>
> The main missing pieces are
> replacements for Access and Publisher, and there are contenders arising.

I've been offline for a few weeks, thus the very delayed response.

I'd be very interested in seeing a (list of?) replacements for MS Access, and
in particular the 'report' writing aspect and SQL creating aspect.  Something
in developement but usable would be fine.  More than just 'proof on concept'
or simple 'lay out the fields in this manner' for the reports.

I have spent quite a bit of time looking around, and have found KUGAR and a
few others, but nothing open source capable of generating a seriously
complicated report from a database.

As a result I have started writing my own database report writing toolset in
Python, which creates TeX files than can then be converted to pdf or
postscript.  Only 200 lines of code an already getting something useful, but
if there are existing capable tools that I've missed, I'd like to know what
they are!

Cheers,

Rasjid.

PS.  My own toolset, if I keep working on it and it gets to a genuinely
useful stage, will of course be made available under some Open Source license
- although I'm not quite sure which one yet.