Re: [seul-edu] wine testing efforts

On Wed, 22 May 2002, James Oden wrote:

> > MS Office 97
> > MS Office 2000
> >
> > Symantec Ghost (apparently there is a problem with Linux, even on the
> > latest version -- two different sites have had issues)
> >
> Why even use ghost with Linux machines?  Actually, this one way you could
> get Linux into the schools on the server side, as you can essentially do
> the same thing as ghost with a carefully crafted linux floppy (enough
> to bring up the network on machines and start running a script that
> can load images onto harddrives from a network; when I did my RHCE trainging
> eons ago, there was some discussion of this with the students).  Also,
> for Linux only solutions kickstart is the obvious answer.  I have actually
> done some work towards including the kickstart in the RH cdboot.img file,
> and makeing customized cdrom distributions that fit on one CDROM, thus allyou
> have to do put the cdrom in the machine and let it boot.  But in most
> cases just a simple netboot floppy and the kickstart file being on the
> net is sufficient.  Just some thoughts.

Strange... I have used ghost to take dual boot hard drives (Win2K - 3 GB -
Debian 7GB) and clone it over 30 machines, without a problem. This was
with version 7 Enterprise.

Otherwise, we use a network book script, and a small shell script to run
mkreiserfs and rsync to clone the systems (a multicast version of rsync
would be very useful).

		Harry

--
Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder