Re: [seul-edu] Users Changing their Passwords over web?

Hi Doug,

Webmin looks good -- a lot like linuxconf -- which is
also good.  But I still need something that is targeted
toward USERS -- at least at the moment.

Administratively, I am able to hold off a while, because
we are having so many problems with Windows and the
people that we hired to help have done a lousy job --
so I have some time here.  I think until the new year.
However, there I really need to find some one in the
area -- a shop -- who knows linux -- I will check the
user groups and see what is available in the Italian
speaking Cantons in Switzerland -- hopefully Lugano.
But I really need a solution for end users that is easy
to use.

I users need to be able to change their (after they
correctly enter their username and password):

o change their password -- like userpasswd
o user information (probably) -- like userinfo
o setup email forwarding (some staff are required to
have email but want their messages forwarded somewhere
else).
o able to restrict access to specific IP address (or a
range).
o use a different port than normal http (or at least
make it firewall filterable somehow).

Nice feature for some administrators would also be:
o a vacation message -- that is mailling list friendly.

At least until I install SSL I would also like to
restrict access to this port to my LAN and ignore
requests from the Internet.  (Probably even blocking
them with my firewall too).

Quoting Doug Loss <dloss@csrlink.net>:

> Bill Tihen -- TECHNOLOGY wrote:
> >
> > I am thinking of the linux account information.
>
> > 2) My boss wants to get rid of all the Linux
servers.
> > He is afraid because I am the only computer guy at
my
> > school and if I go on vacation and something goes
down
> > no one will be able to fix it.  None of the local
> > vendors know Linux -- they all think it is brand new
and
> > will go away in 6 months anyway.
> >
> > So the moral of the story is that I need to make
> > everything as easy as possible even the servers or
else
> > it will go away and become Windows NT.
> >
> Take a look at Webmin:
>
> <http://www.webmin.com/webmin/>
>
> There's also K12Admin and Roster from our projects
page, and
<http://library.advanced.org/27155/> that
> might be useful to this end.
>
> --
> Doug Loss                 The difference between the
right word and
> Data Network Coordinator  the almost right word is the
difference
> Bloomsburg University     between lightning and a
lightning bug.
> dloss@bloomu.edu                Mark Twain

If you find this message objectionable
or of questionable authenticity please