RE: [seul-edu] Linux DTP

I use Netscape composer for quick DTP.  You get WYSIWYG, all the HTML markup you'd desire, tables, hyperlinks, and ... javascript!
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-seul-edu@seul.org [mailto:owner-seul-edu@seul.org]On Behalf Of Dave Prentice
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2000 10:06 PM
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Linux DTP

Richard,
    I downloaded and tried lyx. It doesn't seem to fit the bill either. Besides the fact that it isn't true WYSIWYG and besides the irritating screen colors that I couldn't figure out how to change, it seems to work with one continuous text frame from beginning to end. Instead, we need the ability to create multiple text frames of various sizes on each page, each one for a separate story and each individually linkable to other pages in the publication.
    PageMaker exactly suits the needs of this DTP class. Since it isn't Linux, though, FrameMaker is the closest thing.
    Ruled out so far: Impress, Airstream, and Lyx. Still waiting for further response from icesculptor. Their demo is for i686, so they said they would recompile it for i386 and let me try it.
Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com