Re: [seul-edu] KDE or GNOME?

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Max Moritz Sievers wrote:

> KDE has more Open Source nature than GNOME.

This is highly suspect.  KDE has historically had a slew of problems with
repsect to licencing...that being said, they have made some great strides
to go in the right direction and pressuring TrollTech.

> The KDE-core-developers are
> more friendly than the GNOME-core-developers.

Define.  On a personal basis, I met folks on both teams (Granroth on KDE
and Icaza for Gnome/Helix), both were cordial, but I get along better with
Granroth the few times we've spoken.  But that is a subjective call on my
part.  That being said, I like KDE overall more than Gnome regardless of
what I think of the persons involved.

> Some students care about OSS (at least I do).

So do some non-students ;)

> KDE 2.0 is technically better than GNOME 1.x

This is arguable, depending on whether you buy into the CORBA/BONOBO dreck
that Miguel espouses.  I am still far from sold on the component model
that resembles MS COM object kruft that Gnome is joined to, but once
agaiun, its preference over performance at that point.

> and there is
> http://www.andamooka.org/reader.pl?section=kde20devel which helps a lot
> to start a KDE 2.0 programm.
> KDE 2.0 uses Konqueror which is the most efficient tool I ever used.
> http://www.konqueror.org

Konqueror is nice (quite nice actually), but its not enough to merit
taking one over the other...there are a lot of other pieces in the puzzle.

> Max Moritz Sievers

Joseph E. Arruda	|	www.valinux.com
Corporate Alchemist	|	sourceforge.net
VA Linux Systems	|	www.osdn.com