Re: [seul-edu] It's quiet--_too_ quiet.

On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 07:35:45AM -0500, Michael A Hamblin wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Bruno Vernier wrote:
>
> > That is the case for me :-)  I just finished version 1 of BEL (a school
> > library management system) which has replaced a commercial non-Y2K program.
> > It does circulation,overdues listings,returns,renewals,add/remove/modify
> > book cards, and prints barcodes for clients and books.  It is in use with a
> > 12,000 book library, 200 clients (students and teachers). I wrote it with a
> > single PHP3 script that is 30k big!  The data itself is stored in postgresql
> > and is approx 2 Megs.
>
> Hehehe, open mouth, insert GPL :) That's what I love about Linux users,
> "You wrote xyz package? Are you going to release the source?" :)

indeed.  It is 100% GPL.  To install requires PHP3, apache-php3-mod,
php-lib, postgresql, some tweaking to get appropriate authentication,
creation of the SQL database (in postgresql), and a single program in php3.
So I will assemble a package with instructions and semi-automatic install
for all that.

If you want to see what it feels like, I posted a working system with
authentication removed at:

http://ess.vancouver.bc.ca/vn/library.php3

Bruno