(FWD) Re: [seul-edu] Packaging apps for inclusion with distros

----- Forwarded message from owner-seul-edu@seul.org -----

From: Ian Sheppard <is@hal.marbury.sa.edu.au>
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Packaging apps for inclusion with distros
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 06:46:00 +0930

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> Here's a fun question.  We recently saw the announcement of kmLinux,
> a distro targetted at schools in Germany, which included various
> educational software packages (some associated with SEUL/edu!).
> Eugene from Mandrake has indicated that they might consider
> something similar, and I know the Debian-jr project is open to the
> idea.

This is what we are currently using at Marbury School, South Australia.
Software suite currently being run according to nature of application.

Word Processing - Star Office , Abiword, Lyx
Spreadsheets - Star Office, Gnumeric
Databases - Star Office as a front end to postreSQL and Ababas
Graphics - Gimp, xfig, kpaint, Star Office
Browsers - Netscape, kfm
Programming - Java. LogoUCB, Microworlds through xdos
Mathematics - geg, Cinderella, spreadsheets
Games - apart from those in the distribution - Lincity, free civ
Miscellaneous - agt (The Adventure Game Toolkit)

Only Cinderella - an interactive geometry package is not freely available.

Ian Sheppard.

----- End forwarded message -----