Re: [seul-edu] Slowest Computers Useful For

Cameron Miller wrote:

> Doug Loss wrote:
> >
> > I'd also say that my experience with LDAP tells me that you want at least 256
> > MB of RAM in a server if you expect it to get hit heavily.  I don't know what
> > a minimum CPU would be, but we're using a P-III 833 MHz without too much
> > trouble.
> >

> As far as old hardware goes, I have run OpenLDAP authentication for a
> 13,000 user 750 workstation network on an old Sparc 10 with 64 MB of
> RAM.  There was an old file descriptor resource bug, but RAM was not a
> problem.

It depends on the use, I suppose.  This LDAP server is being used for web personnel
directory lookups and email forwarding address lookups for our campus (~10,000
student accounts, ~1500 faculty/staff accounts).  top shows LDAP by far the
greatest user of CPU resources, fluctuating between 60 and 95 percent.  And the
load average is running around 10 during peak usage hours.

--
How valuable is my contribution?
Share your feedback at Affero: