Re: [seul-edu] Slowest Computers Useful For

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 02:01:41PM -0500, Doug Loss wrote:
> Cameron Miller wrote:
>
> > Doug Loss wrote:
> It depends on the use, I suppose.  This LDAP server is being used
for web personnel
> directory lookups and email forwarding address lookups for our
campus (~10,000
> student accounts, ~1500 faculty/staff accounts).  top shows LDAP
by far the
> greatest user of CPU resources, fluctuating between 60 and 95
percent.  And the
> load average is running around 10 during peak usage hours.

  Gah, time to revaluate what indexes you really need.  Also, is the
mail server doing a frech connect & authorize for every lookup?
Seems like an aweful lot of overhead in there somewhere. Or you
could just be tetting more spam than I care to contimplate ;)  Maybe
an LDAP replica on the mail server(s).

  As for being on topic, I belive our P90's with 64M of
ram(excessive, but it isn't worth pulling it out) and cirrus logic
video are doing quite nicely as XTerms at 16bit color.  The 10M hubs
they are pluged into probably isn't helping them, but there are
plans in the works to replace those with 100M switchs. They allready
have 100M NICs.

  I havn't seen first hand how the dual Athlon handles the load of
30 clients, but I havn't heard any complains about it being slow.

  - Nick Lopez
    kimo_sabe@atdot.org
--
Once again a knife wielding maniac has shown us the way.
  - Bart Simpson