Re: Major interview

> Ray Olszewski wrote:
>
>> The general question is the relative merits of encouraging EdSoft developers
>>
>> to port their (proprietary, fee based) applications to Linux, versus relying
>>
>> on the Open Source/free software community to create the needed apps and
>> distribute them at no charge.

In our district, 'free' opened the door to linux as an NOS. It will take 'free'
to get it on the desktop, but once it's there, I expect that the proprietary
software applications will follow as soon as they realize the potential for
profit.

>>  do you need the applications to be free of charge?

No. I would pay a reasonable price for a functional, easy to learn/use
application.

>> If not, what kind of price do you think would be reasonable?

Got me there! Maybe something along the range of say $0.10 to $1.00 per seat for
a district wide 'license'.

Michael