Re: Major interview

----- Original Message -----
From: Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire@seul.org>
To: <seul-edu@seul.org>
Cc: <seul-edu@seul.org>
Sent: samedi 4 septembre 1999 12:09
Subject: Re: Major interview
> Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I never say/think edusoft
> company are evil - I also worked on edusoft company - they just have
> to follow the market rule to exist. For example, Topologika is really
> well know on the Acorn computer community in UK for quality product,
> unfortunately the Acorn Computer company is dead and eventually
> Topologika will drop in some future the Acorn product othervise they
> will loose money, the same things apply for Linux port. If you think
> Topologika may port their product to GNU/Linux beacause we ask them,
> please ask for it, I also ask for it even if I will not be able to use
> their products (english only :() at least this may convice the British
> school of the Europeen Schools Campus there, to use the GNU/Linux
> installed network.

British schools have since moved to wintel and mac. Topo. has ported all
their products to these platforms and are still very well known. They won't
die along with Acorn. As for Acorn, I don't think they'll die - they just
stopped making computers.

I don't think that British schools would switch to Linux too quickly. Unlike
other countries, Britain has a long history of technology usage in schools
which has, for the most part been well funded. The present government
considers technology and internet to be vital to education and provides a
great deal of funding for it. The lack of software for Linux tends to mean
that it's finding its way into schools because of cost. Cost isn't too much
of a problem in Britain. I've also never encountered any teachers there that
would have the skills to install and maintain a Linux network, nor would
they be able to program.

Programming and higher levels of computing are emphasised much more in other
countries than in Britain. Except for logo which is very popular for maths.

Producing french versions of a Linux port should be no problem for us given
our locale. In fact, it would be done by default. :)

I'd like to know if and how you use logo in your school since Ian and I are
presently working on a revamp of UCBLogo.

> Do someone insist on an entirely free development model ? I don't see
> any!  For my part I just say we should spend energy to convince
> peoples (for exemple teachers, there is a lot of teacher who know
> programming art) developping free edu software. Edu soft company will
> do their jobs - Porting to GNU system if they can save their profit
> margin.

I expect this is a translation problem since the French language is much
less subtle in common usage than English. This tends to translate into more
forceful expression. I make a similar mistake when speaking french here -
not making my point directly enough.

> I never say this could effect the community's freedom, I cite :
>
> " 2. the more proprietary edusoft we will have the less freedom we
> will
>    have. And this will apply a negate effect of the goodness cited at
>    the beginning of this message.

Perhaps this is another translation problem since this is exactly what you
are saying.

>    Those who preach too hard are often not heard.
>
> Will you say so about RMS ?

RMS doesn't really preach per say. He uses his approach to create a stir
with the media - and very successfully. That's his tactic which he has down
to a fine art. But I've read many new postings describing him as a dictator.

> Beside this, Roman please don't turn me as an evil.  Read every word
> carefully of my messages. I just want to promote free edu development
> as I believe this is what want to do the Seul/Edu groups.

I don't see you as evil at all Hilaire.

The purpose of seul-edu is indeed to promote free edu development for linux
as well as to provide a common place for linux edu users to share their
thoughts. My interest in peoples' opinions towards commercial software is a
personal one. Please anyone, don't ever think that I speak for seul-edu when
I say contentious things from time to time.

Roman.