Re: Major interview

----- Original Message -----
From: PP Jose C. Lacal <jlacal@yahoo.com>
To: <seul-edu@seul.org>
Sent: mercredi 8 septembre 1999 14:02
Subject: Re: Major interview

> Ray:
>
> You might be right on the dating issue. I knew it was
> old, and it looked to me like it was older than a 486
> Packard Bell laptop I had around 1991/1992.
>
> The _date_ of the laptop is not the point I want to
> make in the interview, and it is not the point I was
> making to your earlier comment. My point is that
> pre-Pentium PCs (486s and even 386s), with the proper
> (available) DOS- or Linux-based software, are quite
> usable still.
>
> [Aside: Anybody out there want to sell a usable
> Toshiba T3200SX 386 laptop with 02 ISA slots in the
> back? That is what I was using as a demo client before
> the P/S died on me. That is why I bought the Compaq
> 486.]
>
> Or are you saying that such "old" PCs are only good
> for the dumpster, and that everybody must go out and
> buy a new eMachine, for example? Please help me
> understand your point.

I think Ray's point is quite simply that if we're going to generate
publicity then we must carefully consider what we say first.

I'd like to say that there's a lot of bad reports and journalism out there
in the Linux/open source community and I personally wouldn't like to fall
into that trap. Whilst I can understand the community's enthusiasm to speak
out, one must be careful to put forward well researched and practical
claims. Over zealous statements and reporting aren't readily believed by the
"non-converted" so won't do a great deal of good.

Roman.