RE: Offtopic: Setting Passwords

I used Linuxconf in command line mode (userconf) to create a shell script
which added about 450 users to a Redhat 6 Samba server.  Browse down the
Linxconf help to see the command line formats.  It was the only way that I
could find to easily add disk quotas for each user.  Before running the
script, I used linuxconf in full screen mode to set a default user quota.

I also used smbpasswd to initialize their Samba passwords to null in a
similar script.  Our plan is to enable password setting in the W95 control
panel for about two weeks so each user can set his own Samba password.
After that, we will disallow the use of null passwords.

Below are example lines.

userconf --adduser    gbalboni     hsstaff    "Gail Balboni"
/bin/bash

smbpasswd -n -a       gbalboni

Mark