Re: Digest version of seul-edu mailing list

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> > I didn't know who the list maintainer is, so I just wrote to
> > seul-edu-owner, which is the majordomo-standard name for whoever's
> > responsible for running the list.  Maybe that alias is broken for
> > seul-edu?
>
> seul-edu-owner goes to me. I read your mail and stuck it on my todo list,
> which unfortunately has gotten very large lately. :(

I know the feeling...

> Classes just started again, and I'm helping to teach a big class on network
> and computer security, so it's eating a lot of my time.

Understood.  Prompt action I wasn't expecting, but it would have been
good to get a response so that I at least knew the message didn't go
into the bit bucket or into the email box of some sysadmin who didn't
give a hoot about the list.

> If you give me detailed instructions on how to make the majordomo digest
> happen, I'll see what I can do. I'm on a redhat 4.2 system currently.
> Sorry for the delays...

Here's a couple of general guides:
http://yoss.canweb.net/canweb/dev/majordigest.html
http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/majordomo-faq.html

The basic steps are to create the directories used to store the
undigested files and the digest archives.  Be sure to get the
permissions right as this is a common source of hard-to-find
problems.  Then set up the aliases in /etc/aliases and run
"newaliases" to notify sendmail about them.  Finally, add an entry
like the following to /etc/crontab (which will digest once a day at
3:13am):
13 3 * * * youremailaddress echo mkdigest seul-edu-digest seul-edu-digest.passwd | mail majordomo

You then need to find the process ID of cron and then "kill -1" it so
that it will reread that file.  Let me know if you get stuck anywhere
or if you need help testing it.

> > > Roger, this sounds like a good idea.  Can we set up a digest version for
> > > folks who want their seul-edu in one great glob rather than lots of tiny
> > > ones?
> >
> > Majordomo is very flexible about doing this, but that's mostly because
> > building and mailing the digest is scheduled as a cron job.  I find
> > that running the digester once a day in the early-morning hours gives
> > good results by minimizing load on the host and network, and still
> > gives digest readers updates often enough that they can be active
> > participants in the conversation if they so desire.
> >   Regards,
> >     Scott
>
> network/host load isn't an issue. The geda-dev list hammers the majordomo
> server much harder than seul-edu ever will. :)

Then you can schedule the cron job for any time, or even multiple
times per day.
  Regards,
    Scott

Scott Raney  raney@metacard.com  http://www.metacard.com