Re: SEUL: Re: Are teachers really so unwilling to learn?

Doug Loss <dloss@csrlink.net> wrote

>  For example, I'd say that when you turn a
>  computer on it's like a newborn baby. ...

Excellent analogies, Doug.

Although I've been a "techy" for a long time, and I'm a pretty good
public speaker, I haven't really done much computer teaching.  Since
I've been spending more and more time talking to and working with
teachers on computer "stuff", I am becoming interested in how to teach
computer technology.  I don't think our teachers are afraid of the
technology, but there is definitely a dearth of knowledge.

Can anyone recommend resources for how you teach about computer
technology?  I guess I'm thinking about course outlines, perhaps a long
list of analogies, or other guidelines that could help me organize
material to present to teachers.  I could easily lecture for an hour on
the tradeoffs between cache architectures or the benefits of the
open-closed principle, but I'm pretty sure those topics would not be
well received. :-)  And I guess I would rather not purchase and read the
entire "... for dummies" series.

Thanks for your help,
Bob

--
Bob Techentin                                  techentin.robert@mayo.edu
Mayo Foundation                                           (507) 284-2702