Re: Introduction

Stephen A Quam wrote:

> My name is Stephen Quam, I am a student at the University of Texas
> at Dallas. I have done database programming and administration work for
> Texas Intruments. I have also managed servers and routers for a small ISP.
> I am a fairly decent programmer and I am familiar with a variety of
> programming languages. I have always enjoyed working with the educational
> community and look forward to working with this group.

Welcome, Stephen!  We have a number of projects going on at the moment
(see our projects page at <http://www.seulorg/edu/projects.html>).  You
might want to contact Steve Tonnesen, the project leader for K12Admin.
I know from messages that have been posted here that he's considering
either moving K12Admin from MySQL to PostgreSQL or adding PostgreSQL to
the supported DBs.  He might be glad for some help.  (Apologies, Steve,
if this is inappropriate.)

Also, there's AUC, the Authenticated User Community for Linux
<http://library.advanced.org/27155/>.  It's not currently running over a
database, but the developers might be interested in that possibility.

Finally, here's a quote from a post by Jose Lacal of the OpenClassroom
project <http://www.openclassroom.org> as to what work they have for
people to do:

> - Interface k12admin to PostgreSQL instead of using mySQL.
>
> I have exchanged e-mail with k12admin's creator and he seems to be
> amenable to the idea of supporting us in doing this work.
>
> The technical focus is Perl and DBI (a Perl module that talks to almost
> any database).
>
> - Interface MiniVend to PostgreSQL instead of using flat-file databases.
>
> This does not seem to be a major problem, it just requires time.
>
> The technical focus is again Perl and DBI, plus some serious SQL
> database development.

Please, take part in our discussions here, and see if one or another of
these (or any other of our projects) catch your eye as something you'd
like to work on.