Re: Are teachers really so unwilling to learn?

Doug Loss wrote:

> bickiia@earlham.edu wrote:
>

> > But there are a lot of important ideas in computers that aren't just
> > little details.  If a teacher wants to *understand* what they are doing,
> > they need to know these things.  They need to understand the concept of
> > file types, the notion of folders/directories, the client/server aspect
> > of the Internet... there's a bunch of them.  ....

> It's well within the purview of seul-edu, and probably SEUL in general, to develop conversational guides to the concepts behind current computer use.  We'd better use Linux in any examples we use, of course, but such guides would apply beyond the Linux comunity alone.
>
> We should come up with the basic concepts we want to illuminate, and then start work on the guides for them.  This is something that doesn't require coding skill.  You need to understand the concept (and probably have a good reference book on it available to help you on details) and to be able to write clearly.  From what I've seen on this list, we should have an abundance of people able to do that.  We should also try to get the currently-very-low-volume seul-pub list involved, as this is also up their alley.
>
> So let's discuss a bit just what concepts we should work on, and then get to it!
> --
> Doug Loss

Ok Everybody,

In general teachers throw away most of the INFORMATION they learn in teacher school, because it is normally outdated before it is even taught.  What teachers need is FRESH information that is SIMPLE to understand.  If you question this, consider the last two years in your field.

Here is my short list of things a teacher needs to know to "teach computers" in general.

What is a computer?  ---> Focus on the Really Big and really fast calculator with output that is words and numbers.

How does it work?  ---> It is like a lot of light switches that are on if the answer is yes and off if it is no.

What are the parts?  ---> The computer has circuit boards with special chips that do special jobs...?The important pieces are CPU which thinks, Drives, which store data when the power is off, etc...

What is the Operating system?  ---> The O/S is big boss software that tells other programs how to get things done and the rules to follow.

What is the file system?  --->  The way information is organized.  Like a card collection, if it is in order everyone can find a Babe Ruth Rookie Card in a box with thousands of other cards as long as we know the filing system.  If not.....

What is software, and how do I use it?  --->  It is a special set of rules the operating system uses to make the monitor look a certain way, to ask for something to do, and to accept the "stuff"  we present.  It then plays with "the stuff" and gives us something back.  Hopefully it gives us what we need or expect.

Whatever anyone wants to embellish upon, please do so.  This is a thought line rather than a final solution.

Regards,

Bill