Re: XML vs DocBooks

On 23 Sep 99, at 19:54, Doug Loss wrote:

BTW it's DocBook and not DocBooks...

> XML is definitely useful, but for something like this DocBooks is what
> you want.  DocBooks is an SGML DTD that you can use with sgmltools to
> produce HTML, ASCII, TeX, PostScript, and undoubtedly some other
> formats I can't remember just now.  You can maintain the base document
> in DocBook format and generate the various versions with sgmltools; it
> makes keeping all the versions synchronized a breeze.  As Bill said,
> there should be a way of generating XML from DocBooks too.

Hmm... AFAIK you can use sgmltools with the DocBook XML DTD. Yes, it
means there is an XML DTD for DocBook and it is (at least mostly)
compatible with the SGML DTD (after all, XML is only a subset of
SGML).

If Cees is still on the list (Are you?!) he could maybe enlighten us
a bit more, even if he doesn't actively maintain SGMLtools anymore.
More info also on Norman Walsh's webpage (http://www.nwalsh.com).

ramin

Ramin Miraftabi           Student Computer Science
ramin@cs.joensuu.fi       University of Joensuu
http://dawn.joensuu.fi    Joensuu, Finland

               Copyright (c) 1999