[seul-edu] Re: Comprehensive Student Management

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Bruno Vernier wrote:

> The SIF standard will likely not be as elegant as I think
> EduML is.  But
> because it does not make sense to have two standards, I
> thought perhaps we
> should adapt EduML to be compatible with SIF.  Since SIF
> development is
> currently closed, and I am not sure I want to work at
> compatibility with
> the published intermediate documents, the project (for my
> part) is on a
> back burner.

This all makes sense.  Do you have an idea as to when SIF is
supposed to release their final specification?

> Perhaps we should continue EduML as a totally separate
> standard for the
> sharing of educational data  from open source programs ... as
> part of a
> completely open source educational package such as Hilaire's
> OFSET project.

I'd be happy with that.  Whenever SIF is finished (with
Microsoft as a major contributor, I expect the release date will
slip at least three times), we could write a translator fairly
easily from what I understand.  Till then we could use it as
either a native data format or a common data interchange format.

> p.s. I am awed by the volume of email this week!

Bruno, Bruno, Bruno.  You _know_ how talkative I can be!  I just
got back from a vacation; two weeks away from the internet.  Why
should this logorrhea surprise you?

--
Doug Loss           The art of medicine consists of amusing the
dloss@suscom.net    patient while nature cures the disease.