Re: [seul-edu] School Networking Guide (was: need detailed network advice)

On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, Douglas Loss wrote:
> That's fine; we use DocBook.
> on DocBook.  We're not going to change that because one person
> has a different opinion.
> Gratuitous insults don't help you to make your point.  If you
> think DocBook is difficult to write to,
> how many of the people
> who will be writing guides for us do you think will be able to
> handle writing LaTeX?

Depends on the quality required. Basic LaTeX is as hard as DocBook.

> That may be useful in magazines or for advertising, but for
> documentation (the "Doc" in DocBook) it's worse than useless--it
> detracts from the content.

Sometimes content means complex tables, drawings... And , a good
presentation is better than a spartan one.

> you're talking about.  If you don't know about DocBooks level of
> graphical support, you obviously haven't looked at the DTD
> closely enough to have reasoned opinions.
> > DocBook is very nice for dull doc.
> Thank you!  Exciting isn't wkat we're looking for.  Informative
> is.
>
> I'm sorry to have been so blunt here, folks, but I think this
> needed saying.

I didn't mean to insult anybody. It's just my opinion. I won't exist
any more. For the same level of quality, LaTeX seems easier and
more standard.

The good thing about free soft movement is that allows you to think
in a non-Microsoft way, if you like. The bad thing about free
soft movement is that some are trying to imposing acceptable ways
of thinking :
- if you want to produce standard doc --> docbook
- texinfo instead of man pages
- Guile instead of Scheme
- Gnome and Kde
- sourceforge if you want to promote a new project

I like "libertad absoluta" of thinking. BTW, "libre" means
completely and absolute  unlimited, unconditioned and unbound.

Sorry, but sometimes speaking about "libertad" is a good thing.

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

  Langsam's Laws: (1) Everything depends. (2) Nothing is always. (3) Everything is sometimes.