Re: [seul-edu] Linux in schools

>Not as such -- there isn't the same sort of access control program, that is.
>But Linux is built on the standard userid/password model of Unix, so access
>controls are part of the basic functionality. If your server and LAN are up
>to it, it is easy to provide shared directories in several ways -- running
>the workstations as XTerminals, NFS mounting home and using NIS for password
>maintenance, and having subsidiary directories on the server are three that
>come quickly to mind. WHich is best in your situation depends a lot on the
>details of your setup -- server and workstation equipment, uses of the lab,
>ages of the kids, speed of your LAN, etc.
Actually, setting stations up as xterminals does not necessarily mean that
you have access to the user directory (/home) on all machines--generally it
implies that most apps are run from a centralized server.

With generally good connectivity (at least 10 Mbps) you can utilize nfs /
nis with no major problems other than potential configuration issues.

For about 6 months to a year we were doing nfs / nis to a  mini cluster of
486/66's (6 if I remember correctly) on a 10 Mbps network with no problems
(other than configuration issues).

I'm interested to hear what you mean by "having subsidiary directories on
the server"--not sure that I have any idea what you're trying to get at there.

Mike