Re: (FWD) Re: [seul-edu] Comprehensive Student Management System

At 11:34 PM 9/6/00 -0400, Chris Edwards wrote:
>Ray, I was wondering where you came up with names?
>
>Ratchett and Legree both sound good, but where are they derived from?
>It would be nice to know.
>
>BTW where did O'Brien come from?
>All of these sound pretty good.

Oh dear. I was being facetious, not really recommending these names (as I
trust those who recognized them realized).

        Legree = Simon Legree, the (literal) slavedriver
                from _Uncle Tom's Cabin_

        Ratchett = Nurse Ratchett, the authoritation floor
                nurse from _One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest_

        O'Brien = the representative of the Ministry of Love
                (or was it the Ministry of Truth?) who captured
                and brainwashed Winston Smith in _1984_.

They all convey the same ominous tone that the phrase "Permanent Record"
does (at least to people who went to school in the USA). I was just playing
out the thought that "memorable" names aren't always desirable names.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com