Re: [seul-edu] Squid Proxy Help

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 12:52:30PM +0800, Ryan F. Go wrote:
> > 	I am having problems running out of file descriptors in squid. Can
> > anybody point me to a site or doc that i need to consult with regards to
> > this? I remember reading somewhere about increasing file descriptors and
> > inode's but i can't remember where :(
> >
> > 	Specs of boxes are:
> >       [sufficiently pumped]
>
> Are you using a 2.2 kernel or 2.0? One of the seul servers was using a
> 2.0 kernel up until a while ago, and I finally decided to upgrade when
> apache couldn't handle the number of open file descriptors per process
> (apparently 2.0 has a per-process limit of 256 fd's open) -- I had too
> many virtual hosts, and it simply couldn't load them all. But 2.2 has
> a limit of upwards of a million per process, so there shouldn't be any
> problem. :)

Oh sorry, i forgot to mention it. It's actually 2.2.x kernel. Squid was
installed thru rpm.

> [root@belegost fs]# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
> 2380    1249    4096

In my box, i get

[root@proxy root]# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
1282 773 4096

So i presume i got no problem with file descriptor's limit in the kernel.
But i still get lots of "running out of file descriptor's" in my squid
log. Do i need to recompile squid? or do i need to change any setting?

> This means I'm not anywhere near hitting the 4096 limit that my
> kernel currently has. (I'm currently using 1249, and have allocated
> 2380.) If your first value is equal to your third value, you definitely
> want to raise the file-max.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=file-nr+file-max+proc%2Fsys%2Ffs
>
> --Roger

Thanks

Yan
---
Ryan F. Go
Linux - Unix Systems Administrator
Center for Network Management and Services
University of San Carlos
Tel: +6332 3466268   Fax: +6332 3466265
Mobile: +63917 7160153