Re: [seul-edu] Squid Proxy Help

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 12:52:30PM +0800, Ryan F. Go wrote:
> 	I am having problems running out of file descriptors in squid. Can
> anybody point me to a site or doc that i need to consult with regards to
> this? I remember reading somewhere about increasing file descriptors and
> inode's but i can't remember where :(
>
> 	Specs of boxes are:
>       [sufficiently pumped]

Are you using a 2.2 kernel or 2.0? One of the seul servers was using a
2.0 kernel up until a while ago, and I finally decided to upgrade when
apache couldn't handle the number of open file descriptors per process
(apparently 2.0 has a per-process limit of 256 fd's open) -- I had too
many virtual hosts, and it simply couldn't load them all. But 2.2 has
a limit of upwards of a million per process, so there shouldn't be any
problem. :)

[root@belegost fs]# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
2380    1249    4096

This means I'm not anywhere near hitting the 4096 limit that my
kernel currently has. (I'm currently using 1249, and have allocated
2380.) If your first value is equal to your third value, you definitely
want to raise the file-max.

http://www.google.com/search?q=file-nr+file-max+proc%2Fsys%2Ffs

--Roger