Re: [seul-edu] Re: slow networking

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 08:43:27PM -0500, Dave Prentice wrote:
> To All:
>     I am trying to download some good software with my new Internet
> connection even before I get the clients to run through a firewall. However,
> on a download, the speed is only about 6 or 7k/sec and has frequent
> interruptions. It seems to time out after 45 minutes or so, preventing a
> successful download of large files.
>     I asked why it's so slow, but the school district tech support turns up
> its nose at Linux, especially running on old machines (like they're going to
> give me new ones!). They said the backbone is running about 360mhz and the
> school network at 100mhz, and that's all they can do. Does anybody know a
  ...and the outbound internet connection is a 56k modem.
  Just because the local router has a 100Mbit link that doesn't mean there
is even a modem on the other side of the router to fill it.
  Similarly, I know a local cumminity collage has it's campuses
interconnected with OC-3's I believe.  All the internet traffic for the
collage goes over those OC-3's only to get shoehorned down a T1. A single T1
going to the local university.
  So, basically, he didn't tell you anything meaningful.  As for the lousy
speed, where are you downloading from? How many hops away is it?(traceroute)
Is it that slow from other sites?

   - Nick Lopez
    kimo_sabe@atdot.org
--
... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore
strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.