Re: [seul-edu] Linux in University Cirricula

On Sunday 01 September 2002 02:52 pm, Dan Kegel wrote:
> http://www.kegel.com/linux/edu/#cirriculum
> is my first shot at describing the state of Linux
> in the university cirriculum in the US.
>
> It has data on how often "Linux" and "Windows"
> are mentioned at each university in pages related to the cirriculum.

Greetings,

For the last two years I've run a Linux administration course in our winterm.
In both cases the title of the course was "Special Topics."  This winterm we
will be looking at open source, the history of Linux and GNU, and copyright
issues.  The basic text will be Lessig's "Future of the Commons."  Again,
nothing in the title about Linux, open source, etc.  "Special topics."
Sounds boring, but really not.

Also, we are starting an online student journal using Slash running on a
Pentium II/500, RedHat 7.2 (if memory serves).  A student set this up for
last semester's senior seminar.  Again, you will be hard pressed to see the
word "Linux" show up on the university web site in connection with this.
Bummer.

So, the reason for these examples, please be aware that your counts will be
approximate.  There are more courses out there using Linux than what you may
find with a Google search.  As you publish your results, please mention this.

--
jeff williams - cfiaime@nconnect.net
                jeff.williams@cuw.edu