Re: [seul-edu] Lookiing for a TV production application

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:46, Philip J. Tully wrote:
> I am a member of the local Board of education.  We were just handed our
> own public access TV station, with NO funding for equipment.  We are
> receiving a rather antiquated Character generator (the device to put a
> bulletin board service on screen) so we can at least get rid of the
> current blank screen.   This one does not allow for graphics or even
> editing of mistypes.  When errors are found the whole page must be retyped.

> I was wondering if anyone knew of a linux based character generator
> system?

A TV-out video card in an ordinary PC would be a start. Used as a second card,
you could whack together images on the primary, then display them on the
secondary (maybe even with a framebuffer rather than X). You would need some
way of overlaying the text etc onto the video stream, if the chargen you have
does that internally as well but the video card doesn't.

Meanwhile, can I recommend employing a DVD or CD stacker and a flock of public
domain footage? (-:

Cheers; Leon