RE: [seul-edu] Progress on Linux in Portland Schools

Some responses to that poorly thought-out but common argument:

(i) social inclusion (I)- the children from poor families are unlikely to
have access to a legal copy of MS Office, while the school could distribute
copies of OOo for an Aussie dollar;

(ii) social inclusion (II) - OOo is available in an amazing number of
minority and majority languages, and others can be freely added - this is
essential for children trying to learn a language, whether for development
or as part of living in a new country;

(iii) by saving money on their office suite licences, they could afford to
provide more access to ICT within the school;

(iv) schools should be educating general case, not specific - e.g. use of
office software not MMS Office - companies prefer people with all-round word
processing/spreadsheet skills not those who will need retraining (see point
vi)

(v) your average 11 year old will not be in work for 5-7 years (UK truth -
not sure of Oz comparison) - what ever application specific skills you give
them now will be irrelevant by the time they leave school;

(vi) businesses survive by having a better cost-base that their competitors
- it costs no more to use OOo than MSOffice (and now outputs PDFs!) and it
costs less to buy and upgrade; ergo companies will switch to it over time
(2-3 years, I'd stake my career on it).

Cheers

Chris Puttick