RE: [seul-edu] Progress on Linux in Portland Schools

Centre High is a school for 4th & 5th year high school students
(upgrading or completing diploma requirements not achieved in 3 years).
  Our students are "adults" between the ages of 17 and 20.

For three years we offered students a CISCO network course as part of
our course offerings.  Upon completing four CISCO "semesters" bundled
into two of our courses, students could opt to pay for the CCNA exam and
take it at an authorized testing site.  Staff changes led to problems
with always having a CCNA-AI (instructor) available in class.  We had
several capable and competent staff teaching the course under the
direction of the certified teacher.  This was often at arms length so as
to not to undermine any authority or confidence in the teacher.  The
courses were hugely successful for students by giving them equivalent
course credit at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) and
at Grant MacEwan College.  Of the 40 or so students who began the
course, 35 students completed the first two levels of CISCO last year.
Of this number, 14 students completed all four levels of the CISCO Academy.

The week before school began, our CISCO certified teacher applied for
and received a leave of absence.  Our other two teachers had been
involved in teaching the course for a year but had not yet written the
CCNA exam or done the CCNA-AI training.  As a result, 57 students
interested in taking CISCO computer networking were hugely disappointed.

The bright side of this story is that we rolled out a Linux OS and
networking course this year and many of these students were able to
switch. This shift is based on faith and the strength of the Open Source
movement. Our local Linux support group has offered assistance and there
is much available online.  The online stuff may not be as glitzy as
Cisco's online courses, but we do not have the credentialing problems.
Our students will still receive some form of recognition from NAIT for
any Linux course we offer here.