Re: organization

> So, Omega is planning to 'go public' with seul in the next
> few weeks, give or take.
FYI, I have a paper due Monday, and a final I may or may not need to go to
(don't ask why) on Tuesday, then I'm basically free.

> Let's be prepared for people, so we can actually retain a
> goodly number of them. I've had too many projects fail because
> people weren't organized at the top.
Right.  We (seul-leaders) need to be in sync and ready to deal with things
when we do the announce.  Things will get heavy really quick, and I'm sure
arma's gonna love the stress-test on belegost... :)

> Luka, I know you were reading some books about making projects like this
> succeed...?
I suppose I should go find something to read along those lines too... ;-)

> * Need a real web page
We have the infrastructure (CVS and web servers), just need to put the time
into the content.

>   * FAQ, both short and long form
We have twoducks' FAQ, we should probably go over it again and see what needs
to be changed, if anything.  For the short form, we should tag the important
questions for use as appropriate in announces or whatever.

>   * Some demonstrations of stuff we've done that is useful.
Ken needs to write some docs for xhelp in the right format so we can get our
first product documentation onto the web.  Ken, the URL will be something
like http://www.seul.org/doc/dev/help/xhelp/.  You can put anything you want
there, but keep in mind it will eventually have to be done in whatever
standard format we use (sdoc or otherwise) so it looks like it fits within
the site.

>   * Navigatable archives of mailing lists and other information.
I have things set up for the mailing list archival, though they don't work
perfectly yet.  Searching is the next step for that.  For other things, I've
been keeping my eye out for decent ways to handle site navigation.  Any ideas
out there?

>   * (Detailed?) list of goals, both short-term and long-term
We have a start, but I need to get some stuff from luka (I think) before I
can say that I have everything we've written.  Sometime mid/late next week
I'll look into it, unless people are interested in it now...

>   * seul-dev-* descriptions, leaders (?)
> * Need .info files for the mailing lists that have real content.
That goes partially with the setup of decent web stuff.  Some of the changes
I have in mind for sdoc will allow us to have the same source file produce
different output based on flags on the sdoc cmdline, so we could have a page
that parsed normally produces the web page with the information about the
list.  Parse it with -DINFO or something like that, and it outputs raw text
in a .info format.

> * Need to make sure our webserver/mailserver can handle the load
How to test?  Maybe set up bunches of users on cran and other machines and
start sending lots of mail to a large alias with all the dummy accounts.  Hit
the site as hard as we can from different source hosts, and see how belegost
responds once we push it past the 1.0 or 2.0 mark on the loadavg.

> * Need to write the announcement that will go out. Let's make it
>   good. Perhaps tailor to different audiences.
Yeah, we'll have to be careful with how we write it.  I dunno about having
different messages for different audiences.  I plan to archive all these on
the site, and it could get messy having to archive different copies of
roughly the same message.  It might project an air of duplicity if we have to
tailor it.

> * Need to decide where to send it. redhat-announce, comp.os.linux.?,
>   where else?
c.o.l.a, redhat-announce, linux-admin, debian-announce?, comp.os.windows.??

      Erik Walthinsen - SEUL Project infrastructure/system architecture
        __
       /  \           omega@sequent.com         Work: (503)578-5314
      |    | M E G A  omega@omegacs.net         Home: (503)281-4281
      _\  /_          psu12113@odin.cc.pdx.edu  Majoring in CS

       SEUL: Simple End-User Linux - creating a Linux distribution
     http://www.seul.org/            for the average home/office user

===
===