Re: what's wrong with doze and good with linux?

In message <Pine.LNX.3.95.971222212142.19837A-100000@omicron.omegacs.net>, omega@omegacs.net writes:
>We need to find a couple people to head the project of gathering
>information on what people don't like about windoze and why they should
>switch to Linux.  These people would act as consensus gatherers and
>discussion managers for the SEG (via Aldo) and seul-project (directly).
>Once they have adequate input, they would draft some pages and put them
>up for review, gather review comments, and revise.

Actually, I was more envisioning getting a couple of people who already
knew what precisely is poor about Windows and what precisely is good about
linux, and having them just write up the documents. Then they can ask
for comments and revise as appropriate. This would skip a near-useless
stage, especially since we'll be gathering the people to write the pages
from those who respond with input from seul-project...

>I want to post a message to seul-project (which I will draft tonight)
>sometime tomorrow explaining that we need a couple people for this.  This
>will also be useful in refining the process of using a couple volunteers
>to gather and organize information.  That's something that I've seen
>sorely lacking in almost all lists.  Stuff is 'decided' and no one knows,
>because no one is around to 'make it official', even if it's a temporary
>opinion.

Seems we need fewer people gathering opinions and more people *doing*.
I agree that it's a good idea to have various people in charge of various
things, so decisions don't get missed or ignored, but taking democracy
too far means nothing gets done.
Simply assign the tasks to the people who volunteer for them, and
then the tasks will get done. If a lot of people volunteer, then pick one
or a handful of the volunteers to be in charge of organizing the rest
of the volunteers, which can include ignoring those that don't seem to be
very useful.

--Roger

===
===