From: kwrohrer@enteract.com
Subject: re: Rasterman's poor PC
To: e-develop@rasterman.com
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 22:10:30 -0600 (CST)

There is something to be said for an open development model, wherein the
program doesn't spend months in the middle of a transition so thorough
that nobody but the inner cabal can do anything productive towards
development for it.

That half of said inner cabal spends money in anticipation of hardware
loss during shipping, but neither ensures nor properly backs up the data,
is not a terribly good sign either.

I don't know if it's just me, but the whole philosophy of Enlightenment
(as exhibited so far) seems a bit form-over-function.  That, paired with
"I'm going to do a total rewrite and you can't help, but here's a non-
playable demo" just seems rather, dare I say it, 31337.

I'm not asking anyone to become Linus Torvalds, but a good, modular,
forward-looking design that doesn't have to be totally rewritten twice
a year could take advantage of most or all of the people I've seen
volunteer to do stuff, might well attract more users, and would almost
certainly yield a stable product a lot sooner...

Don't get me wrong: Enlightenment represents a lot of good work, a
throwaway initial version is a generally accepted software engineering
practice, and I don't necessarily think I could do better.  At the
same time, Enlightenment could have been better today than the sum
of all the work Mandrake and Rasterman put into it...and it could
also be moving forward at faster than the apparent standstill it
seems to currently enjoy.

	Keith (read http://www.ccil.org/~esr/writings/cathedral.html)