SEG announce?

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to announce SEG to a few places roughly
the same time as the upcoming SEUL announce.  There are a few precautions to
take, though, some of which will have to be applied retroactively.  The main
thing is that we'll have to be very careful about who is put in the group.  I
have a feeling that the size we have now is about the max it should be, but
the distribution is too heavily leaning towards the scientific community.
As a distribution intended primarily for end-users of the home variety, we
need to make sure that the SEG reflects that.

What I'd recommend is a questionnaire and a digital 'signature' kept on file
for each person, parts of which would be available on the web to the public.
This would allow us to maintain not only a promise for each person to
participate usefully, but a database of these people and statistics about the
group itself.

We really need to find someone with practical mysql/phtml experience, because
I'm seeing more and more uses for it in SEUL.  The member database could be
kept in there, available via phtml pages, and we could even keep results from
each question posed to the SEG, listed per person.  I dunno, something to
think about.

Anyway, you might want to think about how you want to announce this.  It'll
probably be a separate message from the SEUL announce, and it may go to other
places as well.  If you have time, write up a draft and send it to
seul-leaders.

TTYL,
    Omega

      Erik Walthinsen - SEUL Project infrastructure/system architecture
        __
       /  \           omega@sequent.com         Work: (503)578-5314
      |    | M E G A  omega@omegacs.net         Home: (503)281-4281
      _\  /_          psu12113@odin.cc.pdx.edu  Majoring in CS

       SEUL: Simple End-User Linux - creating a Linux distribution
     http://www.seul.org/            for the average home/office user

===
===