SEUL-Leaders: Re: linux-ng

Please read over this response and be ready to debate it at the meeting.  I
want to get this guy onboard.  (there are a dozen people including me on the
list so far)

----------
> it is. it's mostly a discussion for what should be done;
> and whatever is agreed on this list will be proposed to
> either linux.org, or debian and redhat.

What I would suggest is that this list join with SEUL, as this is the project
that is going to replace windows.

We already have a significant start on the project, with about 70-80 members
and a (small, still) leaders group.  We have hardware in place as well as
procedures to develop the project.

The reason I would like to transition the newly-formed linux-ng list into the
SEUL project (possibly moving the mailing list to our server) is that there
is quite a bit of duplication of effort "out there".  We as a group have
already discussed most of the general aspects of this system, and
re-discussing them in linux-ng would be pointless.

As it turns out, almost all of your listed goals match ours exactly.  The
only difference is that we intend to create our own distribution.  We will
likely be starting either from RedHat or Debian, or a hybrid of the two
possibly.  Our goals are basically to create a distribution of Linux that can
be installed easily, used more easily than Windoze (not hard, really), highly
configurable for those with time to tinker, and almost completely
maintenance free.

A secondary objective will likely flesh out to be the creation of a slew of
standards which would allow other distribs to mirror or merge with SEUL.  All
will be GPL'd, so this is possible.

If you are interested in merging with the SEUL project, we can arrange for a
list on our server and take appropriate steps to integrate this list as more
of a wish-list discussion, for instance.

        Erik Walthinsen - Programmer, webmaster, 3D artist, etc.   __
 /  \           omega@sequent.com         Work: (503)578-5314    / /  \
|    | M E G A  omega@aracnet.com         Home: (503)281-4281   / / /\ \
_\  /_          psu12113@odin.cc.pdx.edu  Majoring in CS       / / /\ \ \
Omega Station: http://www.aracnet.com/~omega/                /________\ \ \