[Fwd: Linux Expo Toronto (oct.30, 31 - nov.1)/Call for Paper]

Here are some upcoming dates for Linux Expos in Canada and Europe/Asia.

The Toronto Expo is a great opportunity to get some more visibility for
SEUL, either as a talk or a booth (or both). One thing we have yet to do as
a project - and I think would be very worthwhile - is to organize a session
presentation that would include all of the SEUL groups: the main SEUL
project, SEUL/edu, SEUL/sci and individual projects.

The presentation from the earlier Montreal conference is available for
general use and modification (HTML format), easily adaptable to general SEUL
talks.

I have some reservations, however. The last two conferences I was involved
with didn't quite "get" the community nature of Linux, so most of the
presentations by organizations were placed on the last day of the
conference, and we typically had around 10-15 people in attendance to the
talks as a result.

Also, at the Montreal conference (by this very company) the .org booths were
placed at an extreme end of the display floor, far overshadowed by the .com
booths. Two of my colleagues here in Montreal also told me afterwards that
they had to pay $20 just to hit the exhibition floor. Net access was
prohibatively expensive, although to their credit they did have an email
garden (unlike the Toronto expo, although this was a different company).

I realize only too well that those presenting on behalf of .org projects do
so at their own expense, both financial and time. To that end, I'd like to
thank several SEUL people for their work already:

- Odile Benassy came to the Montreal conference this spring from France,
  and Summer Hartzfeld (Lyta) drove halfway across Canada (Regina to
  Montreal is a three-day drive. Each way.)
- Doug Loss drove to Toronto from Pennsylvania, made arrangements for a
  great deal of equipment and gave a great couple of talks.

I should also mention that they took time off from work to do this.

Thanks also to Steve Tonnesen for helping out with the talk I gave and
fielding questions on short notice.

Although I'm certainly tempted to put together a talk for this coming expo,
I am unsure of whether it would be worthwhile to organize a booth. If there
is interest, I can propose a SEUL session (and give a talk as well)

-- Pete

(In passing, I have the SEUL banner sitting here in my room. Let me know
 and can ship it wherever)