Re: SEUL: TurboLinux

   From: "Pisani, Larry" <lpisani@modemmedia.com>
   Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 14:27:29 -0400

   I'll download it when it's released and see how it flies.  Also, I'm
   planning to build another system in the next couple of weeks which I'll
   dedicate to testing out various distributions and apps.  So far I like
   the Redhat dist., I tried Debian and found it to be more confusing than

Debian 1.2 or 1.3?  It would be great if someone posted a report about
1.3 with a slant about how user friendly it is, not about how great it
is.

   I felt it should have been.  However, I've used RedHat for years so I
   may be slightly biased.  I'll wait a couple of weeks and try it again.
   I'll also start test driving apps.,  I've loaded StarOffice and was very

TurboLinux looks easy to use.  Could you write a review about it?  I
did the same thing for RPM, RedHat and LST.

   impressed at it's power/features in comparison to the ease of
   installation.  I really like the look of the xdm3d_xpm pkg
   (inconsequential, but flashy for a first impression of X).  I vote for
   WindowMaker wm, but make a root menu reset pick into, maybe, a half
   dozen different wm's so the user can switch out between them and easily
   try them all.  After all, isn't that a main advantage of X over Doze is
   that you actuall have the freedom to CHOOSE what your environment looks
   like, even if you have many people using the same host?

WindowMaker is not ready for prime time.  The more programs doing the
same thing you include the more chances for one of the packages being
broken.  And also the more chances for confusing the user by this mere
wealth of software.  So it is better to include only selected software
carefully built.

A WM for SEUL must either have configuration software like AfterStep
or be able to build its menus according to what software is installed
like the FVWM95 (yes I know, boo, hiss :-) you get in RedHat.

So we should limit us to one or two "serious" WM (I would like AS with
settings for giving him WindowMaker colors) plus Enlightenmant for
impressing people.

   Again, I'm no programmer, and I have no experience in being a part of a
   project like this, let alone leading one.  But I will be more than
   willing to be part of the App. team, or maybe temporarily lead it untill
   (if) someone more capable comes along, as long as there's someone
   leading another team willing to advise me to the ins & outs of running a
   project.

   Larry

   Larry Pisani
   UNIX System Administrator