Re: SEUL: TurboLinux

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Kai Wetzel wrote:

>Why not say something like
>
>"The package(s) you selected require the following
>packages from your SEUL CD to run:
>
>Package A : 1032 KB
>Package B :  342 KB
>
>Do you want to install these packages, too ?
>
>(Push buttons:)                 (Default: Ok)
>[Help]                 [Cancel]  [-->Ok<--]
>---
>Now if the answer was "Ok", a dialog would pop
>up if the SEUL CD isn't where it belongs.
>
>I don't see why this is too complicated.  Most of SEUL
>users should be familiar with clicking on some buttons on
>the screen, and if he/she has no clue, he just hits "return",
>as usual ;°)
>
>Of course, the "Default" installation should include quite
>some of the packages which other things depend on very often,
>even if non of the "default" apps do.  (Athena, flex, yacc, ...)

This is basically what Debian does (& Win95), and for the first 10 - 20
packages, all there going to get is dependacy questions, which can easily
put someone off, RedHat's Installer (if I remember correctly), will give
you a screen asking for what types of packages you want, then you have the
option to select seperately what you want, this would tend to get rid of
alot of dependancy problems, then the above would be valid to use...