Re: SEUL: Proposition for a simplified kernel recompiling proced

On 03-Feb-98 George Bonser wrote:
->
->
-> On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Rick Jones wrote:
->
->> How does this differ from just using "make zlilo ; make modules ; make
->> modules_install" ?  Other than being longer?  I've never used it since I
->> thought it was for building kernel packages, so what is the bennefit
->> over the simple make commands?

I repeat the above question.

-> It differs because you issue only one command that does all of the above
-> and creates the kernel as a package that is installed by dpkg.  The
-> install scripts that are run when you install it put eveything where it
-> belongs and reruns lilo for you.  It reduces the chance of a newbie making
-> a mistake.

George, you are aware that the standard make commands do all of this as well,
aren't you?  If we're going to have to script the use of kpkg, why not script
the use of the standard make commands?  It's the same ammount of work for us,
if not less, and less overhead on the end-users machine.

---
Rick Jones
rickya@siservices.net
All the passions make us commit faults; love makes us commit the most
ridiculous ones.
                -- La Rochefoucauld