Re: cmd640 bugfix (was Re: SEUL: Proposition for a simplified ke

> On 04-Feb-98 Paul Anderson wrote:
> -> On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Cyberdyn wrote:
> ->
> ->>
> ->> The kernel will be compiled into a zImage file and then packed into a
> ->> debian
> ->> package file, then the script that did this so far will call dpkg to turn
> ->> around and unpack the kernel to replace the current one (same as make
> ->> zlilo).
> ->>
> -> BTW, an important point I just thought I should mention: Build in support
> -> for the CMD640 bugfix.  I've got a buggy CMD640 IDE chipset, Linux won't
> -> even boot without the CMD640m bugfix.  TTYL!
>
> This is a good point.  Maybe all bug fixes should be enabled by default.  From
> what I remember they are all only active if needed.  They shouldn't effect the
> kernel if they don't apply.

The install/safety_net kernel must have all bugfixes.  The improved
kernel compilation procedure should be able to know what is the
controller in the computer (I remember than this procedure is intended
for people compiling a kernel who will run on the same box: 99% of
cases).

--
			Jean Francois Martinez