Re: SEUL: Proposition for a simplified kernel recompiling proced

On 04-Feb-98 George Bonser wrote:
-> No they do not.  Which is the "un-make" command that puts things back
-> like they were?

I'm getting the idea you have been using this method yourself and haven't done
a manual make in quite some time.  There's no need for an "un-make", you just
boot with the previous kernel if there's a problem.  Ofcourse if you use kpkg
you can't do that because it will replace the old kernel.

-> Yeah, we can waste time developing and testing things that duplicate the
-> functions of things that are already available, I do not dispute that.

You are saying *I* want to waste time?  Look at what *you* are suggesting.  I'm
talking about a script that is 2 - 4 lines and no added overhead to do the same
thing you are talking about using kpkg and however many scripts that is going
to need.

That *toy* you're in love with is for maintaining kernel packages.  It is to
submit a kernel package to debian or transfer it between multiple machines.
There is just no need for it on a single machine.

You are *not* thinking about creating a lean useable distro for our target
end-user.  You just keep throwing debian's toys out as suggestions and then
don't listen to reason when anybody speaks against them.

If you want to keep creating scripts that make programs meant for other
purposes work in our application, not to mention throwing the Linux core out
the window, SEUL is going to be a bloated mess of scripts.  We'll need 100MB of
disk space just for a basic install.

---
Rick Jones
rickya@siservices.net
You don't have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
		-- J. D. Salinger