SEUL: ezppp sucks rocks

Why does everyone have to get so damned cute when it comes to PPP.  PPP
setup under linus is SO SIMPLE if you approach it properly.

ez-PPP is not the correct approach.  It calls chat as a separate process
and tries to stick your parameters in as command-line options and it
screws it up in the process.

Here is how it should be done (or at least how I do it.)

I create a file called /etc/ppp/options.<provider> and another called
/etc/ppp/chatscript.<provider>.

There is no reason to call chat because PPP can do that FOR you.  All you
have to do is put a line in the options file like this:

connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chatscript.<provider>"

Then put the rest of your options in the file like this:

/dev/tty1
115200
modem
lock
asyncmap 0
crtscts
defaultroute
noipdefault

and write it out to /etc/ppp/options.<provider> note that this includes
the connect line that I mentioned above.

Now use a form like ezppp to fill out the /etc/ppp/chatscript.<provider>.
One of mine looks something like this:

ABORT        BUSY
ABORT        "NO CARRIER"
ABORT        VOICE
""           ATDT18009999999
user:        username@ppp
word         \qpassword
PPP

Now all you need to do to start PPP for that provider is issue the
following command:

pppd file /etc/ppp/options.<provider>

and it connects and negotiates.

Let the files do all the work and keep the command line as simple as
possible.  It is easier to read a flat text file and to edit it than it is
to attempt build a single command line with everything on it.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org