Re: SEUL: dunc is a no-go

George Bonser writes:
> I jst gave dunc the once over. It would need a substantial re-write.

I mentioned it to you as a an example of how to call the shell to dialog
interface package I sent you, not as something to use in Seul. I am not the
author of dunc. The original author is no longer interested in it.

> It also tries to write a big chatscript and the way it does it, exposes
> your password to anyone running a ps command while the ppp connection is
> in progress.

Nope.  Just tried it.  I think you are looking at one of the obsolete
versions. I did warn you that the version in 1.3.1 doesn't work.
2.3 uses chat -v -f <file>, and puts '\q' in front of the password
(and *not* behind it).

> The problem is that if you try to use the arrow keys or backspace to rub
> out the name to put in a new one, the program exits.  I finally got it to
> work by using a ^u to wipe out the entry and I could type in a new one
> but this is not obvious to newbies.

I don't recall seeing this even in the old versions (I didn't do much with
them, though).  dunc just uses the dialog inputbox function, so I'm not
sure what could cause this.  It certainly doesn't happen in 2.3 on my
1.3.1 system.

> Other than the fact that the .ppprc that it created would not work, it is
> pretty good (not). I finally had to manually edit the thing to get it to
> work.

I just used it twice to connect to my isp: once using PAP, and once using
chat.  There are a lot of things I don't like about it though, including
the byzantine UI and the creation of yet another set of non-standard pppd
config files.  I intend to continue to maintain it for the benefit of its
users, but I don't plan to make any major changes.