Re: SEUL: SEUL duplicating efforts?

Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> > Some heavy-duty improvements to the startx script wouldn't go
> > astray. What would be really nice is a program that generates an
> > 'xstartup' script or something of the sort. Just some program that invites
> > you to do some options (Xauthority, default color depth , config file etc)
> > and spits out a script.
>
> We should be making use of XDM for SEUL.  The use of startx doesn't allow
> the machine to be used by multiple people without going into text mode.  In
> order to log into the machine, they have to log into a text-based virtual
> console and type startx, or have it done for them.  XDM or similar allows
> us to stay completely graphical, which is the goal.

That is NOT the goal.  Being completely graphical is a bad idea if that is tobe
an end in itself.  Let's face facts.  The XF86 servers are in and of themselves

less stable than the Linux kernel and command interpreters.  I see no end to
this
anytime soon .. Complexity is a kill all.
We don't want people to forget there is a command line :).  just make it less
dangerous ( rm, mv & cp ask for confirmation by default and ls --color is
permanent )

> If anyone's wondering what I'm talking about, do an init 5 on a RedHat box,
> I think it's init 4 on Slackware, and I dunno what Debian's is.  (anyone
> notice a need for standardization here?)

yes.  but if they can't agree where to put important files ...I wouldn't hold
my breath.

> > In fact it's precisely what the linux community should step away from ...
> Exactly.  The Linux community's strength is how well it can work together
> if it tries.  No one is trying hard enough yet.  Until we do, Linux will
> never have a chance of displacing M$, no matter what we produce.

Who cares about M$ ?  I say just do the SEOL thing and make it goodenough so we
can have people gloating "I have this P100 with 32 Megs and
it can run wrings around your PII333 because I use Linux"
If M$ get's run over in the ensuing fracas ... who cares ?

--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."