Re: SEUL: SEUL duplicating efforts?

> Some heavy-duty improvements to the startx script wouldn't go
> astray. What would be really nice is a program that generates an
> 'xstartup' script or something of the sort. Just some program that invites
> you to do some options (Xauthority, default color depth , config file etc)
> and spits out a script.

We should be making use of XDM for SEUL.  The use of startx doesn't allow
the machine to be used by multiple people without going into text mode.  In
order to log into the machine, they have to log into a text-based virtual
console and type startx, or have it done for them.  XDM or similar allows
us to stay completely graphical, which is the goal.

If anyone's wondering what I'm talking about, do an init 5 on a RedHat box,
I think it's init 4 on Slackware, and I dunno what Debian's is.  (anyone
notice a need for standardization here?)

> In fact it's precisely what the linux community should step away from ...
Exactly.  The Linux community's strength is how well it can work together
if it tries.  No one is trying hard enough yet.  Until we do, Linux will
never have a chance of displacing M$, no matter what we produce.

     Erik Walthinsen <omega@seul.org> - SEUL Project system architect
        __
       /  \                SEUL: Simple End-User Linux -
      |    | M E G A            Creating a Linux distribution
      _\  /_                         for the home or office user