SEUL: FTP/WWW: Yggdrasil opens "Ground Zero" experimental software repository (fwd)

A repost of an article from c.o.l.a

We should be looking at this.

	dDWCIVFa+RQ=
	=qru/

	Yggdrasil Computing has opened "Ground Zero", a new repository
of hundreds of rapidly updated cutting edge GNU/Linux programs.  The
software included is currently not thoroughly tested and may be flakey
in places.  However, the builds are improving and the repository
offers an update cycle unprecedented for a full system, even in the
Linux world.  This has important implications for the future of Linux.

	The binaries on this repository are in SLS/Slackware tar,
Debian dpkg, RedHat rpm and Yggdrasil Live Filesystem formats, and yet
they are built from a single source base.  They are produced
essentially as a byproduct of internal processes being used to develop
and test a future version of Yggdrasil Plug and Play Linux.  All of
the software that comprises the build system as well as the software
currently being exported is freely redistributable and available by
FTP.

	These binaries are generated from a periodic process that
monitors remote sites for new releases of software packages,
automatically integrating local changes, and, on developer approval,
building new binaries and packaging them in a variety of different
packaging formats.  For the x86 architecture, the process currently
runs daily, with about one out of every three or four builds actually
being accepted for rotation into the current FTP repository.

	Less featureful versions of this repository have been publicly
accessible and discussed in comp.os.linux.development.system since the
middle of November.  Now the repository has developed to the point
where it where a slightly broader base of programmers may find it
useful, and everybody following the development of GNU/Linux should be
aware of it.

	Already this archive is quite useful if you want to, say, get
the latest postgresql binary in Debian dpkg format or get the latest
version of zlibc in tar format.

	While this system is very much on its early legs, it has the
potential to greatly accelerate and simplify the distribution of the
latest free software to large numbers of people.  This should help to
reunite the GNU Linux community and redirect the much of manual
packaging labor repeated across many different packaging systems into
more and faster software development.  We have already begun to extend
this build process to other architectures, implement distribution
independent bug tracking and do more automated regression testing.
Ultimately, there is the potential to eliminate a great deal of
bureaucracy from the Linux world.

	More concretely, if you are a free software developer, this
repository may soon be able to save you a lot of time, by producing
your software in a variety of foreign package formats and on a variety
of platforms, so you do not have to divert your energy from improving
your software to learn so much about a bunch of different packaging
systems just to reach the whole Linux world.

	The potential benefits of not wasting so much developer time
are significant to the free software community as a whole.  As GNU
platforms become the principal alternative to the Microsoft platform
family, we need to consider our process advantages if we want to have
the best shot at achieving "world domination" as Linus and others
since have put.  One tremendous advantage that the free software
community has is that our development process is faster.  This new
accelerated software distribution system has the potential multiply
that advantage for the developer community.  If Linux development
becomes even faster and more efficient, then we will be able to clone
Windows98 that much faster and better.

	Getting back to present direct benefits, we all will at least
have faster access to experimental versions of newer software from now on.

	For now, this archive is only for the very brave.  The only
dependencies that these packages declare are from shared libraries
detected by RPM and our own build system.  Some of the packages still
lack descriptions or icons.  Their minor version numbers are
meaningless too, always being zero.  Consider what is on the FTP site
now as steps in a particular direction rather than a terminus.

	So, back up your system.  Do not complain if this stuff causes
your computer to crash, lose data, or explode into a million pieces.
Most of all, please do not call asking for any free technical support
whatsoever, as we will get flooded if we even begin to honor such
requests.  On the other hand, if you have a patch to submit or if you
would like to volunteer to help maintain one or more of these packages
for the GNU/Linux community, then we do want to hear from you.  We are
also happy to hear suggestions.  Finally, we are happy to sell
technical support for this software, as we are for any Linux system
(see http://www.yggdrasil.com/Support/tspolicy.html).

	Enjoy!  Here are the details:

	Directory layout of the FTP area:

		source	     - source code:
		   debian    - coming soon: debian source packages
		   redhat    - SRPM's.
		   slackware - compressed diffs relative original sources
		   yggdrasil - coming soon: the Yggdrasil development tree.

		i386	     - i86 binaries:
                   build.log - log of most recent complete build on i386
		   debian    - .deb files: binaries in dpkg format
                   install.log - log of operations that installed files
                               during i386 build recorded by logwrites
                               program.
		   install_traces - some intermediate files generated
			       by our build process that contain a lot
			       of useful dependency and installation
			       information.
		   redhat    - binaries in RPM format
		   slackware - binaries in gzip'ed tar format
		   yggdrasil - live filesystem with files selected via
			       ./usr/lib/yggdrasil/components/*.include files.

  	   alpha, sparc, etc -  coming eventually: executables for other
				architectures and other distributions.
          solaris, hpux, etc -  coming maybe: GNU executables for other
				software platforms (i.e., the system
				minus the Linux kernel, libc, libg++, etc.).

Here is a list of the current software being made available.  Be sure
to check the web page for upgrades, some of which are already in progress
with the currently running build.

contrib-11R6.3-xfree86-3.3.1	    ibcs-2.0-971113
nas-1.2p5			    wine-980201
ctwm-3.4pl2			    checklinks-1.00
kterm-6.2.0			    fileutils-3.16
tkpostage-1.3b			    finddev-1.0
xdaliclock-2.11			    findutils-4.1
xearth-0.92			    freefile-1.1
xexit-1.0			    mc-4.1
xkeycaps-2.42			    readlink-1.0
xless-1.7			    realpath-1.0
xpd-1.03			    sh-utils-1.16
xscreensaver-2.15		    symlinks-1.2
xsession-1.1			    time-1.7
youbin-2.13			    tset-jv-0.9.6
ImageMagick-4.0			    util-linux-2.7.1
ghostview-1.5			    autofs-0.3.14
Wcl-2.7				    dosfsck-1
moxftp-2.2			    e2fsprogs-1.06
mpeg_play-2.3			    genromfs-0.1
transfig-3.2			    hfsutils-2.0
xanim-2.68.3			    ifs-5.1
xbmbrowser-5.0			    mkdosfs-ygg-0.3b
xfig-0				    mkisofs-1.11.1
xfm-1.3.2			    mtools-3.6
lesstif-0.82			    umsdos_progs-0.9
libjpeg-6a			    zlibc-0.9f
sspkg-2.1			    acm-4.7
tiff-3.4beta037			    capture-1.00-ss-10.10
xpm-3.4j			    cbzone-2.0c-ss-10.20
xview-3.2p1-X11R6		    gnuchess-4.0.pl77
fvwm-2.0.43			    gnugo-1.2
fvwm95-2.0.42a-Autoconf.src	    gnushogi-1.2p03
gwm-1.8c			    spider-0
xc-11R6.3-xfree86-3.3.1		    xaster-1.10-ss-10.10
andrew-8.0			    xblast-2.2-to-2.2.1
postbrowse-0.1			    xboard-3.6.2
tkinfo-0.7-beta			    xlander-0
usermaint-1.0			    xpipeman-1.5-ss-10.10
Wcl-2.7.2			    xpool-1.3
arena-0.3.55			    xrisk-2.15-ss-10.10
libwww-perl-5.19		    xshogi-1.2p03
w3c-libwww-5.1f			    xtetris-2.6
chfn-0.91b			    xvier-1.0-ss-10.10
pkg-0.1				    pbmplus-10dec91
pwdutils-1.2			    FL-0.98
bzip-2-0.1pl2			    gdbm-1.7.3
cpio-2.4.2			    glibc-2.0.6
gzip-1.2.4			    glibc-crypt-2.0.6
macutils-795139200-modtime	    glibc-linuxthreads-2.0.6
ncompress-4.2.4			    glibc-localedata-2.0.6
sharutils-4.2			    ld.so-1.9.5
tar-1.12			    libc-5.4.44
zlib-1.0.4			    libc-a.out-4.7.6
comboot-1.0			    libc-a.out-include-4.7.6
etherboot-3.2			    libc_s-951222
lilo-20				    libpcap-0.3.1a2
sysvinit-2.72			    libpng-0.99a
bc-1.04				    linux-2.1.84
gmp-2.0.2			    linux-2.0.33
gnuplot-3.5			    linux-2.0-2.0.33
oleo-1.6			    mailx-8.1.1
efax-0.8a			    metamail-2.7
freeWAIS-0.5			    petidomo-1.3
sirc-2.132			    sendmail-8.8.8
ismodem-1.00			    vacation-1.1.1
lrzsz-0.12b			    NetKit-0.09
lynx-2.5			    dip-3.3.7o
minicom-1.75			    NetKitMisc-0.01
sup-1.0				    bootpc-0.61
term-2.3.5			    net-tools-1.2.0
uucp-1.06.1			    nfs-server-2.1
voice_modem-0.1			    tcp_wrappers-7.6
at-2.9b				    traceroute-4.4BSD
bdflush-1.5			    ytalk-3.0.3-8bit
cron-3.0pl1			    fwhois-1.00
xntp-3-5.92			    moog-0.2
pg95browse-0.1			    nntpd-15.11A
pg95perl5-1.4.2			    tcpdump-3.3
postgresql-6.2.1		    trn-3.6
pql-0.8.1			    apache-1.3b3
qddb-1.42.6p3			    bind-4.9.6
sdbm-715737600-modtime		    gn-2.24
tclvsdb-1.0			    host-1.01
bin86-0.4			    inn-1.7.2
binutils-2.8.1.0.15		    jidentd-1.0
dlltools-2.17			    pcnfsd-1.40
readelf-1.3			    portmap-5beta
egcs-1.0.1			    rpc.etherd-0.6
libg++-2.8.1-980201		    wu-ftpd-2.4
f2c-1996.09.04			    fsp-2.71
p2c-1.20			    inetutils-1.3a
ElectricFence-2.0.5		    ipfwadm-2.3.0
gdb-4.16			    ppp-2.2.0g
kdebug-1.7			    sliplogin-2.1.1
rkdebug-0.1			    xgopher-1.3.3
strace-3.1			    gimp-0.99.18
xxgdb-1.12			    gimp-data-extras-0.99a
expect-875461980-modtime	    gimp-data-min-0.99b
gawk-3.0.3			    gtk-0.99.3
m4-1.4				    ash-linux-0.2
perl-5.004_04			    bash-2.01.1
smalltalk-1.1.5			    pdksh-5.2.8
blt-8.0-unoff			    tcsh-6.07
itcl-2.2			    WorkBone-2.4
tcl-8.1a1			    adagio-0.5
tclX-8.0.2			    glib-1.9f
tk-8.1a1			    gmod-2.2.3
bison-1.25			    rplay-3.2.0b5
byacc-3.0			    snd-util-3.8
flex-2.5.4a			    sox-11gamma-cb3
autoconf-2.12			    wavplay-1.0.patch2
automake-1.2			    bogo-1.2
cvs-1.9				    modutils-2.1.71
dejagnu-971222			    procps-1.2.5
diffutils-2.7			    psmisc-16
dpkg-1.4.0.20			    vlock-1.0
filetrack-0.21			    agrep-2.04
gnats-3.2			    gettext-0.10.32
gpkg-0.2			    grep-2.1
indent-1.9.1			    ispell-3.1.20
libtool-1.0			    less-332
logwrites-1.7			    man_db-2.3.10
make-3.75			    recode-3.4
patch-2.5			    sgml-tools-0.99.0
rcs-5.7				    sp-1.2.1
rpm-2.4.12			    textutils-1.22
kbd-0.93			    wdiff-0.5
real_lp_filter-1.0		    words-1.0
CTI-ifhp-2.2.3			    tzcode-1998b
LPRng-3.4.2			    tzdata-1998b
brcfg-829872000-modtime		    SGMLSpm-1.03ii
cdwrite-2.0			    cweb-3.4g
fdformat-705628800-modtime	    texk-7.0
ftape-3.04d			    texmflib-7.2
hdparm-3.1			    debiandoc-sgml-1.0.7
pcmcia-cs-2.9.12		    ghostscript-3.33
real_lp_filter-1.0		    ghostscript-fonts-4.0
selection-1.7			    ghostscript-fonts-other-3.33
termutils-2.0			    groff-1.11a
man-pages-1.18			    libpaper-1.0.3
bootlin-4			    lout-3.08
syslinux-1.10			    magicfilter-1.2
ed-0.2				    nenscript-1.13++
elvis-1.8pl4			    psutils-858038400-modtime
emacs-20.2			    texinfo-3.11
sed-2.05			    dialog-0.6z
xemacs-20.3			    fwf-4.0
xemacs.elc-20.3			    ncurses-4.1
xemacs.info-20.3		    readline-2.1
xemacs.mule-20.3		    slang-0.99.38
dosemu-0.64.3			    wbuild-3.3

	The repository is available by FTP, and there is also a web
page for it:

FTP area:  ftp://ftp.yggdrasil.com/pub/test/GroundZero/packages/current/
Web Page:  http://www.yggdrasil.com/test/GroundZero/

- --
http://www.iki.fi/mjr/cola-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating signature.
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-announce@news.ornl.gov