Re: SEUL: Stopping dreams

The Thought Assassin wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Kevin Forge wrote:
> > I just found a brain dead solution that is so simple it escaped us all.
> > put 'startx' as the last line of '~/.bashrc'
> This is not the point.
> Starting X automatically is easy. Starting X before someone logs in is a
> little harder, and this is what we were seeking, as far as i can tell.
> We don't want to worry people with what looks like a commandline
> interface, hence we are using XDM.

Ahh ... But it is.  XDM is only nice because it let's you log in at a
GUI screen.  My "Hack" would seam to do the same thing by using a pretty
Text screen that looks like a GUI.

> > All we need to do is take it a step farther and make a pretty 'GUI
> > looking' Login screen and we achieve the "benefit" of XDM without
> > any of the problems.
> The "problems" mentioned were that we didn't have a fallback mode if we
> started X automatically. I am not sure your proposal really helps here.
> It gives us a fallback mode, but I think we were after an X-based fallback
> mode.

You are talking about a major Rewrite of XFree86, XDM and heaven knows
what else.  If fixing the loop of death was a simple mater it would have
been done years ago.
You need to remember that the user can't do anything until she logs in.
So what dose it mater how she logs in ?
BTW I wouldn't mind if the default users password were set to none so
the username was enough to get in.  No remote logins for that user of
course :)

--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."
: 	remove BAD.SPAM or your replies will go astray.
: "OpenScape 5.0 ; The Browser of the future" : http://www.openscape.com